Great Western Railway (GWR) started camping coach
holidays in 1935 after the LMS (London Midland and
Scottish Railway) got in first with the
idea just 2 years earlier.
Blue Anchor was in
the first group of four GWR locations. Camping coaches
have been located at Blue Anchor almost continually ever
since, however we believe the present coach has been
there since the early 1980s.
external restoration, the CCCC is looking
more like how it
technical details of the
carriage can be found
has been at Blue Anchor since the 1980s. It was converted from a regular
railway carriage to a camping coach, after some 45 years of
running in service, It went to the Brunel Camping Coach Park at Dawlish
Warren in 1957 and stayed there for over 20 years until being
moved to its present location.
It has now spent more than half its life as a camping
Camping Coaches across the rail network were finally withdrawn
by BR in 1971.
The line through Blue Anchor closed at the start of January
1971. After closure it was rescued by volunteers and reopened in
Easter 1976 with trains running between Minehead and Blue Anchor
as the West Somerset Railway.
A comprehensive history of the line,
complete with other information about the railway and the
surrounding area, can be found on the ...
West Somerset Railway Site
The company is
supported and largely staffed by the West Somerset Railway
Association. The WSRA also has a website...
West Somerset Railway Association